As the holidays approach, some of us tend to look at our kitchen and dining area and pine for that beautiful new kitchen. If that sounds like you, take heart – even with a limited amount of time and money, you can upgrade your kitchen and create a fresh space to welcome guests for holiday festivities.
Refresh and update your kitchen to make it the heart of holiday activities
1. Start from scratch – When you expect to have friends and family spending a lot of time in the kitchen, you’ll want to make it spotless. You’ve put off cleaning up those grease stains and tomato splatters, but the time has come for a day of deep cleaning. Assemble your cleaning supplies and roll up your sleeves – these steps will make your kitchen sparkle:
• Sweep and scrub the floor.
• Wash all solid surfaces, including your cabinets. For a guide to safe cabinet cleaning, check out this article, which details how to clean different types of cabinets. It’s always safe to start with some mild, non-abrasive dish soap for an all-purpose cleaner. A paste made from vinegar, baking soda, and water can help with tough stains or stuck-on materials.
• Polish knobs and appliances – over time, your hands (and those of family members!) can leave residue on cabinet knobs and appliance handles. Scrub and polish your appliances and hardware for a kitchen that gleams.
• Dust everything and rethink decor – Put the artificial blooms away and replace them with real holiday houseplants. Get on the step stool and give your ceiling fans and light fixtures a good dusting to allow the light to shine bright.
2. Declutter your countertops and add convenient storage with cabinet organizers – When you clear everything from your countertops except items you use daily, you’ll have room to add a few decorations for festive color. You’ll also have a decluttered kitchen for your holiday party. Cabinet organizers like pull-out shelves, in-cabinet pull-outs, dishware peg systems, or in-drawer organizers can create an organized home for silverware, dishware, pots, pans, and utensils – and make that catch-all junk drawer a lot less scary. Many cabinet organizers can fit nicely into existing cabinets.
3. Upgrade your seating – An additional seating area can make your kitchen more inviting and functional. This could take the form of a new table with drop leaves or extra leaves when you need to set more places at the table. If you can justify a splurge, install a kitchen island for additional seating and storage. If you have the space, go big – two kitchen islands would deliver maximum function. Find out more about adding the perfect accessory – the kitchen island – here.
4. Let there be lighting – Restore the light in your kitchen by replacing any burned-out lightbulbs. To help you with holiday meal prep, consider installing undermount cabinet lights to illuminate your work area. And, of course, clean all of the windows in your kitchen and dining area to maximize any natural light.
5. Update hardware and accessories – If you decide the knobs and pulls look worn after cleaning, you can give your cabinets a brand new look and feel with new hardware. This budget-friendly commitment will allow you to explore new trends or add a pop of festive color. The same can be said with kitchen decor. Focus on art, towels, and table settings to give your room a fresh, warm look for your holiday party.
These last three kitchen upgrade ideas take a little more planning, but your kitchen designer can help you. If you don’t have a kitchen designer, consider contacting the designers at Simply Kitchens to help.
6. Reface your cabinets – Since you’re not looking for a complete kitchen remodeling project, one of the fastest ways to completely change the look of your kitchen is to replace the cabinet doors. If your cabinet boxes are in good condition, there’s no need to replace them; new cabinet doors are a fast and economical way to evolve your kitchen’s look and bring in an updated style.
7. Update your countertops – Kitchen countertops are ground zero for art projects, cooking and baking prep, serving food, working, or school homework. It’s no wonder they scratch, chip, and stain over time. If you want to update your kitchen countertops on a budget in time for the holidays, we’ve got you covered. When you’re getting ready for the holidays, you’re focused on beauty and function. Quartz and granite are two of the most durable, easy to maintain, and beautiful countertop materials available today and can be very budget-friendly.
8. Paint the kitchen – One of the easiest ways to give your kitchen a face-lift is with paint. If you can’t carve out a weekend or two to tackle the job, consider hiring a handyman to paint while you focus on the other items on your holiday to-do list. Before choosing a color, speak with your kitchen designer about the most complimentary colors for your kitchen cabinets. You may be able to capitalize on a trend and update your kitchen at the same time.
It is possible to update your kitchen on a budget without a significant remodel. Here are a few “before and after” kitchen designs to inspire your creativity.
While you don’t need to remodel your kitchen to make it holiday-ready, now is an ideal time to take advantage of sales on kitchen cabinets. Many cabinet manufacturers, including Simply Kitchens, present kitchen cabinet sales for homeowners to buy themselves a special gift or plan for their spring project before and during the holidays. Simply Kitchens has a BlackFriday Weekend Sale starting 11/26 -11/29 with 40% all cabinetry.
Ready to get your kitchen holiday-ready?
All Simply Kitchen customers have an expert kitchen designer at their disposal to walk them through the design process, plan the perfect layout, and select cabinets for a beautiful and high-functioning kitchen. Our designers will help you choose a cabinet color and style to fit your personality and make a timeless addition to your home. With the right cabinets and accessories, you can have a clutter-free, well-organized kitchen that’s ready for the next gathering.